Hiraeth Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Mage vs Engineer Modpack is now on v1.02! Click here for info

Go down

Should all spawn farms be made public?

7 - 78%
0 - 0%
2 - 22%

Total Votes: 9

Volfgang57
Staff member

Iron Farms and Spawn Farms Empty Iron Farms and Spawn Farms

August 9th 2014, 23:58
So, as expected, the topic of Iron farms on the server has come up once again, to my annoyance; so here is my proposal to not only give an answer to Iron Farms, but any farms that rely on the spawn chunks.

If any farm is built in the spawn chunks (aka, is going to be running 24/7) it should be made public. The only form of payment allowed should be donation only.
Here's my reasoning:

1. If it's going to be running 24/7, there should be no concern about shortages. It limitless, so paying for an infinite supply of something sounds stupid
  2. If you're going to be building something that runs constantly you are using up server resources that could be used for other players
  3. Everyone will have access to it, so anyone should be able to use it.

So my thoughts are that any type of farm built in the spawn chunks should be able to be used by anyone on the server. Small little farms such as for wheat or sugar cane, that are not automated are the exception. You can build Iron Farms as much as you like, but if it's one that is Spawn Chunk reliant, it should be made public. If you can make a private one that isn't spawn chunk reliant, then have at it. It's yours.

As for concerns about under-valuing iron because of this, So what? There is far more things to trade with than just Iron. Learn to barter. Ask for stuff you need or want, not just iron or gold or diamonds because it's a "currency". If we had currency we would install a plugin for that, but we don't. We are a bartering type of server. I know I need cobblestone and glowstone and would sell stuff for those blocks.

I hope that solves any further issues with these types of farms. Nether and End farms are not of concern as those always get unloaded as soon as there's no one in those realms.
ThePayman

Iron Farms and Spawn Farms Empty Re: Iron Farms and Spawn Farms

August 10th 2014, 07:09
Yeah I agree that farm in the spawn chuncks should be public.

I will lose the value of 3.5 stacks of iron blocks but I still thinking the creation of farms is really important to keep the server alive, this way we can use iron with no concern of running out, also I am working on a farm that will create gold, in the near future we may be able to create big rail lines with no problem of running out of materials.

Also I would like to know if people want the wither / gold farm to be public or not, of course I will need a bit of help building it if it is public Wink
tiara4tanya

August 10th 2014, 12:21
I've never had experience with using these, but I do agree that if they are made they should be public w/ a donation option.
Ponchieoo
Staff member

August 11th 2014, 01:06
I feel that any major project (ex. Iron farm, Wither skull farm, EnderXP Farm) Should only be used by the people who provided help to the project, In any means. We are on a Multiplayer server after all and there should be no one mooching off of someone else's hard work. So with that, Major farms in Spawn Chunks and else where should be used only by those that provided assistance to the building process. And all new members can use them freely of course.
Ponchieoo
Staff member

August 11th 2014, 01:17
Moving this to the new Farming thread Smile
ThePayman

August 11th 2014, 07:27
Message reputation : 50% (2 votes)
Ponchieoo wrote:I feel that any major project (ex. Iron farm, Wither skull farm, EnderXP Farm) Should only be used by the people who provided help to the project, In any means. We are on a Multiplayer server after all and there should be no one mooching off of someone else's hard work. So with that, Major farms in Spawn Chunks and else where should be used only by those that provided assistance to the building process. And all new members can use them freely of course.

You do have a point, but is also a bit selfish to not allow people to use your farm that is producing more than you need just because they didnt help you building it, it think in the end it will end up being a moral decision from the people that didnt build the farms to ask and take only what they really need.
S_Hacker
Grasshopper

August 15th 2014, 02:01
I think iron farms may cause inflation and iron will loose it's value if people can just get a couple thousand ingots within a few days.
Ponchieoo
Staff member

August 15th 2014, 13:08
S_Hacker wrote:I think iron farms may cause inflation and iron will loose it's value if people can just get a couple thousand ingots within a few days.
All of us would much rather have the issue of inflation than the constant talk about the iron farm. We all honestly would want to see the farm.
tiara4tanya

August 15th 2014, 15:10
Plus there is still other valuables. Diamonds, gold, emeralds, and even redstone and lapiz.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum